Gowanus Brewery


Yeast Starter Worked Out Well by Jeremy
April 7, 2008, 12:00 am
Filed under: raspberry wheat, yeast

Fermentation for the Gowanus Raspberry Wheat Ale was healthy and more complete than the last batch.

The final gravity was 1.014, an improvement over the previous batch, which stopped at 1.016. I don’t have any concerns or complaints about it. It just worked.

Since I added raspberries to this beer in secondary and they are a potential source of contamination, I decided to sample and save yeast from primary, instead of secondary, like I did last time. The drawback is that the yeast sample contains wheat, barley, and hop sediment, in addition to the yeast. In all likelihood, contamination won’t be a problem, so I may take another sample at the end from secondary and use that for future batches.

Advertisements

Leave a Comment so far
Leave a comment



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s



%d bloggers like this: